Incoming Housestaff

Orientation Information

Congratulations and welcome to Loyola! Incoming housestaff will be expected to attend a mandatory Institutional GME Orientation on June 20 or June 29, depending on your start date. Your Program Coordinator will share more information about this as well as Departmental orientation activities on June 21 and 30.

View a map of the Maywood campus.

In order to successfully sign up for parking you will have the opportunity to register online in June. 

In order to complete your I-9 form you will need to bring identification documents with you to GME orientation. Download the I-9 form (instructions for employment eligibility verification) and complete before orientation. You must bring original documentation. You are required to provide either ONE document from list A OR one item from BOTH list B and C. 



For a list of your benefit options, please refer to the Housestaff Benefits booklet. Current rates can be located on page 10. 

You will be asked to make a selection at the time of orientation. Please note that you are responsible for completing the benefits forms in order to ensure coverage during your training period at Loyola. All trainees are entitled to the benefits outlined in the 2017-18 Benefits Addendum

You may add, change or drop coverage ONLY during the annual open enrollment period, which is held once a year, in the fall, unless you have a loss of coverage or a change in family status. Changes in family status include marriage, divorce, birth, adoption or death. 


Housestaff must hold and maintain a valid and current Illinois license. Permanent licensure applications are the exclusive responsibility of the house officer. Temporary licenses are submitted to the State of Illinois through your Program Coordinator.

The licensure application process is quite time consuming and typically requires six to eight weeks from the receipt of the application by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR).

Applications for Temporary and Permanent Illinois’ medical license can be found on the IDFPR website. Information and instructions for both temporary and permanent license applications can be found below.

All residency programs and one year ACGME Accredited fellowships are eligible to apply for a temporary medical license. All fellowships greater than one year require a permanent Illinois medical license. 

Temporary licenses

Trainees applying for a temporary Illinois license must submit their application and supporting documents to their program coordinator no later than Monday, April 3.

Please follow the links below for more information and step by step instructions:

Temporary Illinois Medical License Application

Temporary License Instructions for Graduates of US Medical Schools

Temporary License Instructions for Graduates of International Medical Schools

Podiatry temporary license

Dental temporary license

Professional Capacity Information for Applicants


Permanent licenses

To qualify for Permanent Medical Licensure in Illinois you must have completed at least two years of graduate medical education training in the United States or Canada and have passed all three USMLE Step/NBOME exams or exams appropriate to your specialty as determined by the governing board/agency.

The permanent license application process is the exclusive responsibility of the trainee.

  • New for 2017, the application for permanent licensure contains a form titled Authorization for Third Party Contact. You should complete this form and submit it with your application if you would like your coordinator to be able to contact IDFPR on your behalf. This could be helpful to check the status of your application or to submit missing documentation. IDFPR will not release any information on your permanent license application without the submission of this form. 

Please follow the links below for more information and step by step instructions:

Instructions for Permanent Licensure:

US and Canada Medical School Graduates 

International Medical School Graduates

Professional Capacity Information for Applicants

Permanent Dental license

Permanent Podiatric license


State controlled substances registration

While you are a member of Loyola's House Staff, you will be issued a temporary DEA number, a Federal DEA number is not required under normal circumstances. Please contact your coordinator for more information. 

If you would like to apply for a Federal DEA number or to use a previously issued DEA number in Illinois, you must apply for a State Controlled Substance License when applying for a Permanent Medical License through IDFPR. 

To apply,  please complete the last two pages of the permanent IL medical licensure application. You will need to list Loyola University Medical Center as your business address (2160 S. First Avenue, Maywood , IL 60153) and circle all drug schedule options requested. You will need to submit this application along with a separate $5 check, made payable to IDFPR, with your other permanent licensure application materials.

Your Controlled Substance License will be mailed to the Loyola GME office. Upon receipt of this you may apply for your Federal DEA license through the DEA website.

U.S. Medical Licensing Examination Step 3

Step 3 is the final exam in the U.S. Medical Licensing Examination sequence. 

Requirements to take Step 3: 

  • Possess an MD, DO  or equivalent degree. (For recent graduates, apply only after the date of graduation on your diploma.)
  • Pass USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS
  • If a graduate of a medical school outside of US and Canada, obtain ECFMG certification or successfully complete a Fifth Pathway program.
  • An applicant must meet all eligibility requirements prior to submitting their application.

NOTE:  The USMLE program recommends that, for Step 3 eligibility, applicants should have completed, or be near completion, of at least one postgraduate training year in a US-accredited graduate medical education program that meets state board licensing requirements.  If you plan on testing in 2017, please read the 2017 USMLE Bulletin of Information.

Please follow this link for more information and instructions on how to apply  USMLE Step 3 Application


Required Documents and Due Dates

Congratulations on matching to Loyola University Medical Center!

Prior to beginning of your house-staff agreement and the commencement of your training there are several required tasks  you must complete and deadlines you must adhere to. Any delay in completing these requirements or missing deadlines may result in a delay of your training start date.

If you have any questions regarding the following required documents or due dates please contact your program coordinator.

Due Date #1: April 3, 2017

The following forms and documents must be returned to your program coordinator by April 3, 2017:

LUMC requires all incoming trainees to have American Heart Association approved Basic Life Support Certification. The requirement for Advanced Cardiac Life Support and/or Pediatric Advanced Life Support certifications are program specific – please contact your program coordinator if you are unsure as to what certifications are required for your program.

If you are not currently BLS, ACLS and/or PALS certified or your current certification will expire before December 2016 you will need to register for these courses and provide copies of your certification cards.

The Department of Nursing Education offers these courses to our incoming residents in June.            

If you chose to take the courses offered at Loyola please contact Nursing Education for more information on courses and registration forms. Please submit completed forms directly to the Department of Nursing Education by mail,  email (sent to or fax to 708-216-3127. The Nursing Education office can be reached at 708-216-6272.

You will be required to provide a form of payment (either by check or credit card) but you will not be charged for the courses as long as you attend the entire course and return your materials.

Class space is limited and will be on a first come first serve basis. Please submit your registration forms AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

If you choose to complete your certification outside Loyola it must be an American Heart Association course and you must provide copies of your cards to your coordinator upon completion.

Employee Health Requirements

Employee Health Services requires all employees to meet specific requirements and complete required documents prior to the start of employment. For more information regarding these requirements and links to the forms please view the following letter from the Medical Director of Employee Health Services. New for 2017, all incoming house staff must schedule a pre-employement appointment. This appointment can be made by calling central appointment scheduling at 1-888-LUHS-888. Please note, you can make your appointment now for any time between March 27 and your first day of orientation. When making your appointment, please request a new hire exam for a resident/fellow.

Due Date #2: June 1, 2017

The following forms and documents must be received by your program coordinator no later than Wednesday, June 1, 2017:

  • June Document Checklist - Please print, complete and include this checklist with your materials to your coordinator.
  • Official, original medical school transcripts with degree date posted. Transcripts can be sent via secured email directly from your school to: 
    • You must submit TWO official transcripts if you have not yet submitted final transcripts with degree date posted to IDFPR for your licensure application.
    • Recent medical school graduates will need to provide a copy of their written request for release of transcripts if transcripts are not available by June 1.
    • Fellows: Please submit ONE original medical school transcript.
    • All documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by an original translation. 
  • Copies of completion certificates from current and previous U.S. graduate medical education training programs (if applicable).
  • Transfer Resident Evaluation Summary, to be completed by current program director if you are transferring from another residency training program or starting a fellowship immediately following residency.
  • Human Resource Documents (2017):
  • Online Computer Training: Information regarding these requirements, including Healthstream login information, will be provided by your coordinator sometime in May. You will be required to submit proof of completion:
    • Annual Physician Safety Exam
    • Annual Disclosure Statement
    • Electronic Medical Record (Epic) training

Visa Application Information

The J-1 sponsorship process

Congratulations on matching at Loyola University Medical Center (LUMC). As you are aware, LUMC accepts J-1 exchange visitors sponsored through the Exchange Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). For information regarding the initial sponsorship process, please review the following document: Initial J-1 Visa Sponsorship Process

Your program coordinator and our Training Program Liaison (TPL) will also be able to assist you through this process and help answer questions you may have.

For more information regarding J-1 Visa sponsorship, the application process and/or ECFMG, please visit the links below:


If you are transferring from one program to another program at Loyola, please follow the steps below. All documents will be due to your new program coordinator on June 1. 

  • Graduate Medical Education Application
  • Consent & Release Form
  • Self Certification of Continuous Service (VA)
  • Completed Housestaff Agreement
  • Work with your new program coordinator to determine your licensing requirements (fellowships greater than 1 year require a permanent license)
  • Work with both your current and new program coordinator to confirm your end/start dates
  • Submit copies of your BLS/ACLS certification cards to your coordinator
  • You will need to complete a housestaff checkout form and complete the checkout process with your current coordinator 
  • You are not required to attend GME orientation, your program may have a separate orientation activities that are required. 
  • If you are going from resident to fellow, you will be able to go to parking to get a new ID after you start your new program
  • Your specialty should be changed in EPIC once you start your new program, if you have any issues, please contact the help desk

Sample Contract

Download a sample contract.


For a list of your benefit options, please refer to the Housestaff Benefits booklet. Current rates can be located on page 10. 

You will be asked to make a selection at the time of orientation. Please note that you are responsible for completing the benefits forms in order to ensure coverage during your training period at Loyola. All trainees are entitled to the benefits outlined in the 2016-17 Benefits Addendum.

You may add, change or drop coverage ONLY during the annual open enrollment period, which is held once a year in the fall unless you have a loss of coverage or a change in family status. Changes in family status include marriage, divorce, birth, adoption or death. A change in coverage status due to loss of coverage or a change in family status must be made within 30 days of the event through the Human Resources office. 


All Loyola employees are automatically enrolled in a retirement plan. If you would like to opt-out of this 2% payroll deduction, you must contact Transamerica Retirement Consulting within 30 days of your start date. To schedule an appointment on campus with Transamerica, please click here

COBRA Information

Please see the information about continuation of benefits from Human Resources and register for continuation of benefits.

Short and long-term disability

Disability insurance is offered by The Hartford Group. Click here for information about continuing your group life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance after you complete training. 


2017-2018 stipend levels:

PGY1 $54,886
PGY2 $58,308
PGY3 $60,142
PGY4 $63,147
PGY5 $66,117
PGY6 $67,000
PGY7 $68,000
PGY8 $68,000
PGY9 $69,000