Clinical research is a required part of the training program. Accepted trainee candidates will be required to select a research project of their choice. Faculty members will be available to mentor and oversee projects with the expected goal of presentation at one of the national meetings each year (ISET, SIR).
Each year the section has a planning cycle starting in the summer to develop projects targeting submission to the Spring SIR meeting.
To apply for the VIR Independent Residency Program, you need to submit the documents listed below through ERAS:
- Official medical school transcripts. If originals are not in English, you must provide a certified English translation.
- A Dean’s letter (medical school)
- An official record of board scores (NBME, FLEX, USMLE I, II and III, LMCCC, VQE or FMGE)
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your profession.
- A curriculum vitae
- A personal statement
- valid ECFMG certificate (if you graduated from a medical school outside of the U.S. or Canada)
- Applicants must possess a valid permanent Visa or U.S. citizenship. Only J1 Visas will be considered. No H1B Visas will be accepted.
- All Fellowship candidates must possess a valid permanent Illinois prior to the start of this program.
Only completed files will be considered. (See the Electronic Residency Application Service.)
Interviews will be scheduled upon review of the candidates completed file.
Correspondence will be sent to the respective applicants after the completed applications have been reviewed informing them of their status.