Advanced 3D Modeling Improves Diagnosis and Precise Treatment
Loyola Medicine’s 3D imaging lab reconstructs CT (computed tomography), ultrasound and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) images into three-dimensional models that can quickly show the relationship between blood vessels, bones and muscles. This imaging tool is valuable in both trauma and nontrauma cases as it provides more information for the diagnosis of a variety of conditions—including a displaced fracture, aortic disorders, cardiovascular disease and stroke.
Loyola offers state-of-the-art imaging and diagnostic techniques in order to provide timely and accurate diagnosis for our patients. Our expert radiologists are recognized nationally and internationally for clinical excellence, innovative diagnostic and therapeutic methods and skilled use of the latest technology. Our experienced technologists provide testing in a caring and compassionate environment where we want you to feel comfortable asking any questions you may have about your test or procedure.
Why Choose Loyola for 3D Imaging Services?
As an academic medical center, Loyola provides compassionate, comprehensive care to patients and trains future leaders in advanced imaging technology. Loyola takes a multidisciplinary approach to patient care and provides support services for patients and families. Your entire Loyola healthcare team has one goal: restoring you to better health.
Electronic images are available to your doctors instantly through an electronic medical record system, allowing us to deliver timely, effective care to our patients. At Loyola, we understand the importance of continuity of care and will provide seamless communication with your doctor through our secure medical information portal, LoyolaConnect. You can also access results from your lab tests and evaluations through myLoyola.
What We Do
What Services are Available at the 3D Imaging Lab?
Loyola’s dedicated team provides advanced imaging technology to provide patients with timely, accurate diagnoses. We will determine what is causing your symptoms and deliver the highest quality of care—from diagnosis to treatment and beyond.
We specialize in 3D imaging and offer the latest diagnostic techniques and leading-edge technology, including:
- 3D brain imaging — In the brain, 3D technology can pinpoint aneurysms and provide detailed mapping information for surgical planning. 3D images can confirm the presence of an aneurysm, as well as assist in the management of those aneurysms using neurosurgical or endovascular techniques.
- 3D cardiovascular imaging — 3D images of the heart can assess heart function and identify coronary artery disease. Images clearly show blockages that may lead to a heart attack, as well as both calcified and soft cholesterol plaques in the arteries. This helps determine the presence and severity of any blood flow blockage. 3D imaging also is useful in diagnosing some congenital heart disorders.
- 3D CT (computed tomography) — For patients with complex injuries and fractures, your doctor may use 3D CT technology to determine the extent and exact location of the injury, which can aid in providing precise treatment. This technology can also be used to monitor the healing of fractures and the effectiveness of treatment on bone tumors.
- 3D dental post processing service — Loyola offers a 3D dental post processing service for dentists and oral surgeons. Using a precise, planning software, dentists can accurately plan the placement of dental implants.
- 3D vascular imaging — For patients with vascular disease and patients considering kidney donation, your Loyola doctor may use 3D imaging to assess the vessels of the vascular system. It is also used before and after stent placement in the treatment of aneurysms, as well as in the imaging of coronary arteries during cardiac CT.
3D imaging provides your Loyola doctor with more information about your disease or condition, reducing the need for exploratory surgery and lessening surgical time and damage to healthy tissue by allowing your surgeon to plan precise, targeted treatment.
Advanced Research to Improve Diagnostic Imaging Procedures
As an academic medical center, Loyola is dedicated to improving future treatments by conducting research on new diagnostics and treatments. Loyola’s expert radiology team is actively pursuing new research with studies that include:
- Breast imaging and intervention
- Helical CT
- MRIs of patients with arrhythmias and heart failure
- State-of-the-art stroke intervention
- Ultrasound imaging
- Vascular and neurovascular intervention
Several of our faculty serve on the boards of leading scientific journals. Loyola’s patients benefit from research discoveries made here. Read about Loyola’s current clinical trials.