The Department of General Surgery at Loyola University Medical will be accepting applications only through Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). To ensure that your application is considered for an interview, please have your complete application submitted through ERAS by [date to be determined].
- A complete ERAS application including personal statement, research experience, publications, medical school transcripts, and any honors or distinctions obtained during medical school or elsewhere.
- Three to four letters of recommendation.
- Take and pass Step 1 of the USMLE.
- Take and pass the Clinical Skills portion of Step 2 before the match.
- Foreign medical graduates must have one year of clinical experience in the United States. Observerships and research are not considered clinical experience. Clerkships at American hospitals are clinical experience.
- Foreign medical graduates should be ECFMG certified before applying.
- We have no policy regarding year of graduation
- We accept J-1 visas
- We do not sponsor H1B visas
Applications will be reviewed by the program directors and invitations to interview will be e-mailed in fall 2020. The program does not require a minimum Step I USMLE score to be asked for an interview. As the average USMLE Step 1 score for our current categorical residents is often asked by interested applicants, please be aware that the current average score for USMLE Step I is 235.
Please note that each ERAS application is reviewed individually. With over 1,500 applications received each year, we regret that we are not able to respond to additional requests for information regarding an individual application.
Interview dates for the 2021-2022 Academic year are scheduled for the following days:
To Be Determined - Will take Place Virtually
The General Surgery residents host an informal gathering the evening before each interview date for those invited applicants who are able to attend, beginning at 7pm. (via Zoom link to be provided).
Current residents will be there to answer questions pertaining to the program. Invited applicants will be provided with the details closer to the date of the interview.
For those residents applying for a preliminary position, interviews will be held in late January, 2021.
|7:00am SPECIFIC TIMES TO BE DETERMINED - INTERVIEWS WILL TAKE PLACE ELECTRONICALLY|
All applicants will:
- Interview individually with two surgery faculty for two 20 minute interviews.
- Interview with a chief resident for a 20 minute interview
- Interview with the program director and chairman for a 5 minute interview
- Interview with the associate program director and vice chairman of the department for a 5 minute interview
- Participate in a research presentation
- Participate in a resident panel discussion
On the morning of your interview, we will begin with a residency program overview presented by the Program Director, Chair and Associate Program Director of the General Surgery Department. A resident panel representing various PGY levels of our current resident pool will follow the department overview.
We look forward to your visit. Should you have any questions or are unable to keep your appointment, please call (708)-327-3436.