Thank you for your interest in the Loyola Dermatology Residency Program. We serve a unique and expansive patient population through the Loyola University Medical System and the Hines VA Medical Center.
Loyola University Medical System is a tertiary medical center with a large 500+ bed hospital and over 25 satellite outpatient clinics throughout western Chicagoland. Our residents receive extensive exposure to complex medical, pediatric, and general dermatology, ensuring a comprehensive training experience. Loyola residency affords its trainees a vigorous surgical and procedural experience, including Mohs surgery and cosmetic dermatology. Expertise in Dermatopathology is developed through thorough training at Loyola and the VA.
The Hines VA dermatology clinic is one of the busiest dermatology clinics in the country. The large patient population provides unparalleled exposure to skin cancer and management of complex cutaneous malignancy as well as complex medical dermatology. Progressive autonomy throughout training allows our residents to be fully prepared to see patients independently on day one after graduation.
Some of our strengths include:
- A diverse patient population of all different skin types, and socioeconomic backgrounds from young to elderly, allowing great exposure to general medical dermatology, pediatric dermatology, surgery, cosmetics, and pathology.
- A nice blend of supervision and autonomy between our two training sites of Loyola and Hines VA.
- Ample opportunity for hands-on exposure to procedural dermatology.
- Close interaction, and strong relationships with faculty and co-residents both during residency and beyond.
- Strong support for whatever aspect of dermatology our residents wish to ultimately engage in.
- A unique suburban location affording our residents the opportunity to live in or out of the city. In addition, Chicago is a great venue to train, with a rich dermatologic history, and five other programs, allowing plenty of collegial interaction with both residents and field leaders.
Our goal is to help develop dermatologists equipped to provide exceptional and compassionate care after graduation. We're looking for people who have a passion for dermatology, are professional, work well individually and in teams, and have a genuine interest in others.
We wish you well in your discernment process.
David Eilers, MD