To learn the basics of research including submitting project proposal, recruiting patients, collecting and analyzing data with the intent of submitting abstract to a national meeting and eventually for publication.
Fellow is expected to perform research for a minimum of six months during their training (provided they have satisfactorily completed their clinical requirements).
Areas of current research include:
- Mechanisms of weaning failure
- Patient-ventilator interactions
- Respiratory muscle pathophysiology
- Sleep in the ICU
- Control of breathing
- Outcome in long-term ventilated patients
- Lung transplantation
- COPD rehabilitation
- Alterations in lung cellular function after acute injury
- Cystic fibrosis
- Medical Education