MELROSE PARK, Ill. (April 16, 2014) – The extreme winter put many driver’s skills to the test and for some, identified an area for improvement. Now many Chicagoans can take a driving refresher course to increase their driving skills and also lower their insurance rates.
“Driving is a privilege that most adults value the most and view as key to their independence,” said Janette Johns, activity director, Transitional Care Unit, Gottlieb Memorial Hospital. “Being a safe and competent driver not only safeguards the privilege of driving but makes the roads safer for everyone."
Gottlieb Memorial Hospital is partnering with AARP to offer a 9 a.m.-1 p.m. driving course on Monday, April 21, and Tuesday, April 22, in the Professional Office Building room E, 675 W. North Ave, in Melrose Park. Cost is $15 for AARP members and $20 for nonmembers. The eight-hour course is taught in two consecutive four-hour sessions. To receive the completion certificate that may entitle the participant to an insurance discount, depending on the carrier, the class must be attended both days.
Did You Know?
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 35 percent of traffic violations for drivers older than 55 are for a failure to yield the proper right of way.
- Your hands should be placed in the 8 and 4 o’clock or 9 and 3 o’clock position on the steering wheel.
- Vision changes that affect driving start at age 40.
- While driving, there should be 10 to 12 inches between your chest and the steering wheel.
- You should allow a space of three seconds or more behind the car you are following.
Drivers have to be 55 to be eligible for an AARP course completion discount in Illinois, and it is up to the insurance company to determine the amount.
In 2013, the AARP driving course had 15,225 participants and it was offered in English and Spanish.
Approximately 80 percent of AARP course graduates report that taking the course has resulted in a positive change in their driving behavior.
To register for the course or for more information, please contact Janette Johns at (708) 681-3200 ext. 2408.