Expert Diagnosis and Management of Fetal Heart Problems
If you are experiencing a complicated pregnancy, pediatric cardiology experts at Loyola Medicine are skilled at precisely monitoring the development of your baby’s heart. Loyola’s fetal cardiology consultation is designed to help with the diagnosis and management of heart problems in your growing baby.
Our expert cardiologists perform fetal echocardiograms to evaluate the structure and function of your baby’s heart. Detailed imaging tests can evaluate the fetal heart rate and fetal blood circulation to determine if your baby might have a heart abnormality. With regular consultations and testing throughout your pregnancy, Loyola's team of specialists works with you and your family to:
- Determine necessary treatments for the baby immediately after birth, including medical management, cardiac surgery, or other medical interventions
- Develop long-term treatment plans for your baby
- Ensure your optimal care during and after your pregnancy
- Evaluate and diagnose congenital heart disease
- Initiate fetal heart therapies
- Plan for your baby's delivery
- Provide genetic counseling
Why Choose Loyola for Fetal Cardiology Consultation?
Whether your baby’s heart requires medical management or complex surgical procedures, Loyola’s multidisciplinary team of pediatric cardiologists and surgeons are committed to developing a plan that is right for you and your child.
What Diseases Does Fetal Cardiology Consultation Treat?
During a complicated pregnancy, a regular fetal cardiology consultation may simply provide the reassurance you need that your baby’s heart is developing as it should, without complication. In other cases, cardiology consultation may enable experts at Loyola to diagnose and develop a treatment plan for congenital heart defects, including, but not limited to:
- Atrial and ventricular septal defects (ASD/VSD or hole in heart)
- Ebstein's anomaly
- Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF)
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection (TAPVC)
- Transposition of the great arteries (TGA)
Fetal cardiology consultation can also help diagnose and treat abnormal fetal heart rhythms, including, but not limited to:
- Fetal supraventricular tachycardia
- Fetal long QT syndrome
- Fetal complete heart block